Thursday, January 27, 2011

True Beauty

When the snow falls, I dive into home projects.  Yesterday I rearranged furniture and vacuumed thoroughly.  This used to be the chore I did when I was punished to my room as a teenager.  I guess through those times, a love for rearranging spaces began.  I love the fresh perspective it brings.

This is a corner of my kitchen.  Our home feels like a treehouse, hence the blog name, because you have to climb steps and then pass through the wrap around porch.  I love the views from this window, because the sun rises from this side of the house.  You can always hear the birds singing in the dogwood and evergreens.  I used to have a wooden table here, but thought I'd put my favorite rocking chair here.  It is a great spot to read or have a friend sit and sip coffee while chatting and catching up with each other's lives.

I always want my home to provide a cozy shelter for anyone who enters in.  Yesterday afternoon, God brought some ministry to my door.  A man and his daughter had run their car into our mailbox and needed our home to call for help.  The little girl was five and spent the time playing hide and seek with Olivia and Chase, while her dad worked out the details.  They, too, were serving the Lord. 

While they were having snacks together, I kept thinking of the verses that talk about when we serve others, we are doing it as unto the Lord.  Even though I was in sweatpants and my hair in a bun, I felt beautiful inside, because I was serving my Jesus. 

Doing right has a powerful way of making one feel beautiful.  When we pursue the world's avenue to beauty, we are always left with pride or never feeling like we measure up.  Spending time serving my family and others does a better job of making me feel beautiful than any beauty product on the market.

2 comments:

  1. I like thinking about beauty this way...

    and I'm really happy to know the story behind your blog name now too :) I've always liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet and kind of you to help that man and his daughter. The world needs more of that. :)

    A beautiful corner of the house too! I would love to see pictures of the staircase. It sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete