Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Best Things in Life are Free

When we lived in the Adirondack Mountains for seven years, we learned to enjoy the free things in life.  Living on one salary with a growing family and trying to get out of all debt made us stop and think about the free things in life that bring joy.

Nature. 

Taking a walk outside, lounging in the sun, or swimming in the lake with or without the kids became a daily retreat, which didn't cost me a penny. 

The Library.  

I love to read, but I don't like to buy books unless I am at the thrift shop or a yard sale.  The kids and I visit the library about every two weeks.  They can each choose a movie, too.  I am still not sure why, but I love the atmosphere of the library.  Maybe I should have been a librarian, because I love to organize, too.

Hiking.

Trying to do something with your loved one that doesn't cost any money is quite the challenge.  This weekend, John and I went walking around Lynchburg's famous Black Water Creek Trails.  It gave us about an hour and a half to enjoy the woods again, while having uninterrupted conversation.  Since we decided to spend the whole day away, we did hire a babysitter and made an event of the whole day.  Truth is it did cost us money, but a cup of coffee (in our own thermos, of course) after the hike would have been enough. 

1 comment:

  1. I love the library too! And need to get there more often...

    I just started reading the Chronicles of Narnia--have never read them before. !!!! I know, right? I love them so much now though, and can't wait to read them to my kids someday :)

    Oh, and yes, the pictures in my last post were taken from/in my apartment.

    I hope you and the kiddos are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete