Tuesday, May 22, 2012

My Grandmothers

Both of my grandmothers were classy women.  They both were wonderful mothers, loving wives, and true homemakers.  They both had the talent to knit or crochet.  They both gardened.  They loved opening up their homes for their loved ones and strangers alike.  Much stands out in my mind about them, but because I have been meditating lately on modesty, especially as I am growing older,  I am noticing that both of my grandmothers liked to look nice and ladylike, but sexy was never their goal.  I never even heard them say the word "sexy."  They were admired for being attractive women, but not because they were sexy.  They were admired for their modesty.  Modesty in behavior.  Modesty is words.  Modesty in choices.  They did not seek attention, but enjoyed living for others, nurturing others, giving themselves to others.  When our hearts are focused on others and not ourselves, modesty naturally happens.
Immodesty has become a serious problem in our American culture, because women have given up their honored place in the home, because they want attention.  Attention to be the prettiest, the richest, the highest on the corporate ladder.  Even in homemaking, if it is not done for the glory of God and to bless others, we can even use our honored places and create a "kingdom" to serve our selfish needs.  Expensive furnishings, designer baby clothes, creating a magazine-looking mother with a perfect home and perfect highlights are idols I see young families bowing down to.  Not only do I see it, I wrestle with it. 
The Holy Spirit has been dealing with me lately about the idol of exercising.  Trying to get that 20s body back is the familiar idol I see with moms.  I can always tell an idol because I feel less when I don't have it.  The Bible says I have all things in Christ.  If there is an area God wants me to pursue, it is to bring forth fruit.  Not so with idols.  They create slavery.
Idols appear when we compare.  If you find yourself wishing you had "her" house and "her" body, then you can bet it is an idol.  I never heard either of my grandmothers wishing for another woman's life.  They loved their life.  They didn't have to say it...I simple saw it.  They found joy in loving others.  I felt it.  Others felt it.  And this became their beauty for all to see.  No one felt less around them, but quite the opposite.  They entered into the same joy when they entered their homes.  I am thankful I have such wonderful examples.  I just hope I can be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment