Monday, April 18, 2011

Modern Day Idols ~ Part 1

Recently, I have been wrestling with my sisters in the faith who seem to be doing too much.  Of course, I always come back to "well, who am I to judge?"  Truth is, I am not judging, but concerned.  Their lives and pursuits do not seem much different than those who do not know Christ and His kingdom plans.  As I pondered many things in my heart, I found that I am not alone.  This weekend alone, three sisters in the faith had the same observation.  We wondered how they get it all done in the same amount of hours we have.  Do they find time for real solitude with the Lord?  Do they really spend their evenings with their husbands or their laptop? 
Spending time with your loved ones requires, you guessed it, time.  A mother shared with me this Sunday that she is closer with her second child than her first, because she is home with the second child and worked outside the home when the firstborn was little.  She felt regret.  She reminded me that our loved ones need our time, our nearness, our attention when they are little. 
Another mother couldn't understand this weird pull to leave the home even though she didn't want to.  She knew the enemy was planting lies in her head, because she loved her role as a mother.  There is a pressure to do more, educate more, volunteer more, but the sad thing is many christian women have listened to this lie and therefore confused the younger mothers. 
Motherhood is a job you will hold forever, but the need to be home and focused on them, not selfish pursuits, is more intense when they are small.  

No comments:

Post a Comment